Sunday, December 5, 2010

At The Sharpe End by Hugh Ashton

I thought this book was going to be over my head. In reading the synopsis you see such words as "freelance technology consultant" "2008 wall street collapse" and "global financial markets". I was intrigued by this book because it takes place in Modern day Japan, in the point of view of a foreigner. And that is also the reason that I enjoyed and would recommend this books to others. I found the main character Sharpe a little sarcastic and affable. He is thrown into a mess of a situation involving murder, the mob, and endangers the lives of his girlfriend and friends while rolling with the punches of the situation he's gotten envolved with. A stranger has approached him at a coffee shop, hiring him to write an article on some technology he's been working on. He then hands him a hello kitty box with unknown content and is found dead in mere hours. Leaving Sharpe the last one to see him alive. Come to find out not only are Americans, Britans, North Koreans and the Japanese looking into this technology and now Sharpe is the last one to question. What I found completely encouraging about this novel was as a reader, asking myself questions like "why doesn't he just give up the computer card instead of risking his loved ones" my answers were immediatly answered within seconds. I found that the language used was smooth, detailed and not overwhelming at all. The characters (even the bad guys) were all very well developed and entertaining. I am very happy that this book found its way onto my shelves and encourage others to pick this one up. It's intriguing, intuitive, educational and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment